It would not be any kind of Christmas without these brownies. Dark chocolate and ginger are a favourite in our little household. I cannot find the orginal website where I found the recipe but I have adapted and tweeked over the years.
113g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
75g dark chocolate, broken into squares
150g caster sugar
95 g plain flour
1 tsp fresh root ginger, grated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a 20cm square baking tin
2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a medium sized saucepan over a low heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Add all the other ingredients and stir until smooth.
4. Pour the batter into the lined pan and bake until set – about 30 minutes.
5. Cool in the pan, and then cut into 16 squares.