It’s 4am and I cannot get back to sleep…
I’ve been awake since precisely 3am. It is rather annoying. My alarm clock is going to ring in an hour and a half and I’ll probably sleep through it and wake up in tizz at six thirty.
Before I try and get back to sleep, I thought I’d share my brief bit of learning from my Monday morning commute. I read an article on Time Management which I found quite helpful.
Time is your most precious resource
Self-care is not a luxury, it’s a responsibility
- Batch related tasks
- Mute your phone when tackling tasks
- Clockify app – to track time spent on activities
- Get it out of your head – capture the things you need to do both personal and professional in a system you trust
- Prioritise prioritising – dedicate time to prioritising for the day/week/month ahead before you accumulate more actions. Good time managers take a few minutes at the start of the day to prioritise tasks and consider how much time is needed to perform them. It can help to make a list setting priorities according to urgency.
- Automate or delegate – what tasks can you create an autopilot for? Delegation needs to be appropriate otherwise it is dumping on people.
- Identify manageable actions – identify the smallest possible next action that you feel that you can do. Break the task down into smaller parts which are more achievable.
- If an email contains an action then put the action in your system that you use to record tasks. Your email is not your to do list.
- Setting boundaries in a polite but firm way can help safeguard your time, allowing focus on the urgent tasks that only you can do.