I made another cake…
This is Nigella’s Winter Plum Cake co-opted with tinned prunes.
1 tin of prunes
125g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
75g ground almonds
125g butter, softened
125g soft light brown sugar
1 scant teaspoon almond extract
1 heaped tablespoon caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 170 C / 150 C fan and butter and line a 20cm springform cake tin.
- Drain the prunes and remove the stones, then leave it in a sieve to drain some more.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and ground almonds together.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a spoonful of the flour mixture after each. (This helps to prevent curdling.)
- Beat in the almond extract and then fold in the rest of the flour mixture.
- Finally, fold in the prunes. Tip into the prepared tin, and smooth out the top a little. Sprinkle over the caster sugar, and bake for about an hour. (If it isn’t yet coming away from the edges, of a cocktail stick doesn’t come out more or less clean, then it may need up to an extra 15 minutes.)
- Leave it to cool in the tin, on a wire rack, for ten minutes before turning out onto the rack.
Makes 6 – 8 slices.