Another Birthday and another cake. This time my youngest brother.
I am trying to be resourceful in my baking now, using what I have in the cupboards rather than specifically going out to buy new things. So the bag of carrots in the fridge just screamed ‘carrot cake’. I had made a carrot cake sometime last year. I’d found a vegan recipe but I had used eggs – so, not so vegan! However this time I only had one egg left so I finally got to use my milled flax seeds as the vegan egg substitute.
The cake turned out fine. It cooked well. Nice springy texture. I covered it in butter icing (sunflower based) and chopped walnuts.
For the Carrot Cake:
- 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 2 and 1/3 cups (255g) Grated Carrot
- 1 and 1/2 cups (300g) Brown Sugar
- 2 Flax Eggs (2 Tbsp Ground Flaxseed Meal with 6 TbspWater)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup (100g) Chopped Walnuts (Optional)
200g icing sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Leave a Reply