Some breakfast muffins…
I had some bananas I’d been keeping all week for banana bread. I changed my mind and decided to revisit an old muffin recipe. This time I made a few alterations, added more dates (just to finish of the packet rather than having some left behind), I didn’t have crunchy peanut butter so I added 50g of crushed walnuts. I also decided I did not want to add sugar but changed my mind and added 2 tablespoons of black treacle.
The muffins turned out very nice, sweet and soft and went very nicely with a glass of (oat) milk.
Given that I have adapated this recipe, I felt that I could give it another name. I had initially started with ‘banana, date, walnut and peanut butter muffins’ . Ignacio pointed out that I had basically just given a list of ingredients. He then told me that the Spanish name for muffins was magdalenas, which I may have known before, but became an interesting fact for Sunday morning. Coupled with the fact that we ate these for a late breakfast, the name magdalenas de desayuno (breakfast muffins) was born.
500g ripe mashed bananas (about 4 large bananas)
125ml sunflower oil
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
125g smooth peanut butter
50g crushed walnuts
1 egg beaten
350g plain flour
2 tablespoons black treacle
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250g chopped dates or figs
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin cases.
2. Mash the bananas in a large bowl with the sunflower oil, vanilla bean paste, peanut butter and beaten egg.
3. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and raising agents. Add the chopped dates and crushed walnuts
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the banana mixture, mix until combined.
5. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cases. Bake for 25 minutes until golden. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
The original version comes from: Have Your Cake and Eat It, Mich Turner,
My previous offerings:
Banana, date and peanut butter muffins
Fig, banana, peanut butter muffins
Leave a Reply