From time to time I get a craving to make a carrot cake. It’s weird – a sensation just comes over me and I can’t settle until it’s done. That happened to me last Saturday. I answered ‘the call’ and baked the cake.
- 1 Mixing bowl and spoon
- 1 round cake tin or any cake tin
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup banana. mashed or apple sauce
- 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flavourless oil I use macadamia oil but grapeseed is another option
- 1 cup sugar of choice
- 2 cups self raising flour if using plain all purpose flour, add 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda aka baking soda
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- 1 whole carrot, grated
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup saltanas or raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 30 minutes in enough water to cover them.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest or the zest from one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Add the chia seeds and boiling water to a large bowl and leave for 5 minutes so the seeds can absorb the liquid.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients, including the banana or apple sauce and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (including the carrot and mix ins) and fold through using a spoon.
- Pour mixture into a round cake tin that is lined with baking paper (or your preferred cake tin).
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Leave the cake on the bench to cool down before icing it.
- Drain the cashews and then blitz all the icing ingredients in a blender until smooth. Spread the icing on top of the cake.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.