Now we’ve started on the prunes…
I have bags of mixed fruit in my living room ‘pantry’, seemed a fitting substitute for raisins. I used orange juice to soak the prunes and mixed fruit. Again I did not add sugar to this recipe as it was sweet enough.
The loaf was made on Saturday and was finished by Monday!
What you need
- 150g raisins or sultanas
- 150g soft pitted prunes
- 75g soft brown sugar
- 150ml cider, strong tea or fruit juice (apple or orange is good)
- Oil spray
- 1 egg – free range
- 100g rice flour or gluten free flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed sweet spices
What you do
- Soak the fruit in the cider,tea or juice for a couple of hours, stir in the sugar until dissolved in a large baking bowl. I leave it covered with a tea towel in the kitchen
- Oil spray and base line a 2lb loaf tin
- Pare heat the oven to 170c
- Sieve the flour, almonds, baking powder and spices on to a plate ready for adding to the bowl
- Add the sieved flour and egg to the bowl containing the soaked fruits, mix thoroughly and then turn into the prepared loaf tin
- Bake for 50 to 55 mins until golden and well risen
- Cool initially in the tin and then cool fully on a wire rack
- Stores well in an airtight tin.